BULLDOG BATTERY CORPORATION recommends the following safety rules for battery users,
If observed, these rules can prevent injury.
- Wear rubber apron, gloves, boots and goggles when working on batteries.
- Disconnect the battery from the truck while doing battery repair.
- Shut off and disconnect the charger when working on battery charger.
- Never lay metal tools on top of the battery.
- Always have water available in case of electrolyte splash.
- Keep open flames away from storage batteries.
- Neutralize acid spills with supply of baking soda or similar alkali.
- Always add “acid” to water and stir constantly to mix well.
- Melt sealing compound carefully. Do not allow compound to ignite by too rapid heating.
- Remove vent caps from near by cells and blow out excess gas when getting ready to repair
battery cell when using flame.
- When repairing cell, cover the vent holes with layer of damp cloth before using burning torch
on inter-cell connectors.
- Lift batteries with approved lifting bar and hoist.
- Keep vent plugs in the cells at all times, except when taking hydrometer readings,adjusting
gravity and acid levels, trouble shooting or making repairs.
- If electrolyte is splashed in the eyes, flush eyes with water from safety fountain or cold water
tap and get medical attention immediately.